On the elimination communication list, Jenn wrote asking
The easiest way to make a prefold belt is by tieing a length of 1/2″
elastic into a circle the right length for the waist of the baby.
Another version is made by cutting the elastic wasitband off the top
of a pair of pants.
The snazzy sort that you can buy at the online EC speciality sites is
a piece of elastic sewn in a circle and then covered with polar fleece
(or other fabric). To make one of these yourself, buy some 1/2″
(12mm) nonroll elastic and some polar fleece.
* Measure and cut the elastic by checking against the body of your
baby for the appropriate length with prefold tucked underneath. Cut
* Overlap ends of the elastic about 1/2″ (1cm) and sew the overlap together.
* Take a piece of polar fleece about one and a half times the total
length of your elastic (say 60cm/ 22″) and about 8cm/3″ wide.
* Sew the 8 cm/3″ ends together using a straight stitch.
* Fold the fleece in half (wrong sides together) to make a skinnier
strip and place the elastic inside the fold.
* Begin sewing close to the edge of the polar fleece using a straight
stitch and sew carefully right round ensuring that you don’t catch the
elastic in your seam.
Voila! One finished fleece covered prefold belt🙂
Tags: make your own